Saturday, December 26, 2009

Elliott Smith & Christmas Radio

I'm about ready to do a van Gogh on my ears after 5 days of Christmas radio - thank you Elliott Smith for being on my iPod. It wasn't always like this though..

I met a girl in Boston a few years ago, she asked if I liked Elliott Smith, and I said I didn't know. She made me sit in front of her computer until we'd listened through one of Elliott's records on her PC speakers. I was drunk on cheap whiskey and forgot most of this event, though later that month I got my hands on Elliott Smith's 'From a Basement on the Hill', and disliked nearly all of it. I'm in the process of inventing a time machine so I can visit my former self and knock some sense in to my thick, juvenile ears.

A couple of months ago I picked up Figure 8 from Nicole's iPod, and I've been feeding myself small doses of Smith since. I couldn't believe I'd never liked these songs before, and now I'm downloading XO, having put New Moon and Either Or on repeat for a month. I came home to London last week and played Speed Trials while walking through the snow. I had one of those moments where your iPod becomes the soundtrack to your bland day-to-day life, and for a moment it's awesome. Then you realise you're that dick with the iPod who thinks its the soundtrack to his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment